- Must hold a Bachelor’s Degree or higher from an accredited institution OR
- a valid Professional Educator License, PEL, OR
- an Educator License with Stipulations, ELS, that required a bachelor’s degree for issuance.
- Complete steps in the Illinois State and Vermilion County Processes as follows:
Illinois State Application Process:
- Create an ELIS (Educator Licensure Information) Account with the Illinois Board of Education here. Select “Click here for first time Access” or “Sign Up Now”.
- Apply for a Substitute License with in your ELIS account. Application fee is $50 which must be paid online with credit or debit card.
- Submit official transcripts in a sealed envelope to: Regional Office of Education, 200 College St. Suite B, Danville, IL 61832 or submit to ISBE.
Vermilion County Process:
- Applicants must be fingerprinted and complete a background check through Vermilion County ROE #54 Office. Must come to the office to fill out a fingerprint form in person.*No other fingerprints can be accepted. Cost is $60. Acceptable forms of payment are Cash, Check or Money Order.
- Applicants must make an appointment with the fingerprinting company. Fingerprinting is performed on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of each month by an external company. Phone number to be provided at the time the form is completed.
- Submit a physical stating that you are physically fit to perform the duties of a substitute teacher from a licensed healthcare provider. No specific form is needed. Must be performed within 90 days of fingerprinting.
*If you do not submit a physical within 90 days of fingerprinting you must be re-fingerprinted*
- Register your Sub License in Vermilion County within your ELIS account. Cost is $10 per year and is valid for 5 years.
- Once you are registered your name will be added to the Vermilion County Substitute list which is distributed to all Vermilion County schools. You may choose which school districts/schools/grade levels/days you are not willing to serve.
If you wish to change your status or be taken off of the substitute list please call our office at 431-2668.